Most of today’s generation wants to fix sleeping problems. The majority of causes of insomnia are due to life events rather than physical illnesses like stress, anxiety, smoking and drinking too much, watching TV, and playing on our phones before we go to bed. I see so many patients who have insomnia and most of them want these, sleeping tablets but actually, most pharmacists tend not to recommend these. Because, they can be addictive, secondly they don’t promote restful sleep, and thirdly they’re not fixing the root of the problem. So how to fix sleeping problems? And How to Treat Insomnia Naturally Without Medication?
So how do you know that you have slept well?
There are some signals which you can see in mind
- The moment you wake up, you should feel very fresh, active, agile, and positive.
- It means your whole body has rested well at night.
Indications of Bad Sleep:
- Frequent Awakening.
- Inability to fall asleep.
- After a full night’s sleep, you are still tired.
- Going through a short sleep. Once you wake up. You can’t sleep again.
Here are my top tips let’s begin with daytime habits, consider:
- Set a specific time to wake up and go to sleep every day. It’s because your body loves a cycle.
- Exercise in the day so you’re tired before you go to bed. It can fix sleeping problems quickly.
- Don’t work on your bed so keep it just for sleeping and don’t take frequent naps throughout the day.
Here are my top tips on bedtime habits, consider:
- Try not to watch TV or play on your phones whilst in bed or before going to bed. Melatonin is a hormone that makes us sleepy. The blue light of the electric device reduces its production. And it does not allow you to fall asleep.
- Avoid big meals before going to bed.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks, and smoking especially in the evening as these are going to stimulate you so you won’t fall asleep.
- Have your bedroom at the right temperature and the best temperature has been found to be between 15.5 to 20 degrees.
- Use thick curtains to avoid any light entering the room.
Your clothing should be very comfortable. Don’t wear anything tight while sleeping. Let your skin be free.
- Take a warm bath before bed.
When you are not feeling sleepy don’t keep lying down. Don’t do that. Give yourself at least 20 minutes for some meditation and pranayama. And if still have sleeping problems, just get up and do a walk or exercise for some time. Still, the sleeping problems then read something which is very positive and light. But strictly avoid using the phone otherwise you won’t be able to sleep after all these efforts. Make it a disciplinary habit to not use any digital media before bed.
All of us are going through some problems in life. Some people have a habit of thinking about the problems the whole night. You should do it during the afternoon time, not in the evening. Till the evening, the solution to the problem should be there. You need to work on yourself to have a good night’s sleep.